Thursday 4 October 2012

Greg Davies: The Back of my Mum's Head Tour



The evening’s entertainment opened to a set from the utterly brilliant Ed Gamble. Although I had seen him previously as the “other half” of duo Peacock and Gamble, I hadn’t seen a live solo set from Ed before.
As anyone with any familiarity with his work would expect, though, he was extremely funny. He interacted brilliantly with the audience and was certainly one of the more confident support acts I have seen. He displays a level of self-assurance which cleverly stops literally on the line bordering cockiness, always delivered with a smirk which looks as though it quite literally allows him to get away with absolutely anything. Content-wise, there was nothing which fell short; perfectly streamlined material delivered flawlessly yet without the over-rehearsed feel that can sometimes come of such a tight write.

Details of the current Peacock and Gamble tour can be found here: Peacock and Gamble
You’ll see links to Ed’s and Ray Peacock’s individual gigs there too!



So to the main event.

With more stories of Greg’s family and friends, this show is quite literally hilarious from start to finish with his audience drawn fully into his world. In fact when I reviewed the DVD of his previous show I did comment on the way he makes us invest emotionally in his tales and this show is in much the same vein. Obviously it comes of his drama background, but he makes literally every word matter in a way I have seen from no other comedian. Every word he speaks hangs in the air long enough for everyone to catch onto it so that the entire audience were with him from start to finish.

It is unfortunate that there will usually be a dick in the audience somewhere – ours was next to me and was irritatingly speaking out where he believed a story might be going and trying to second-guess punchlines but again because of the way Greg performs I even stopped noticing that! (Lucky really, because I was wearing my killer heels and could easily have removed one and stabbed the guy in the eye with it!)
Alongside the extremely funny stories, we were also treated to the role-play of a conversation with his parents in which audience members took part and a rather emotive song (yes, he sings and plays the guitar too!)
Okay, he did claim the song had just been written that day and might not be part of the show proper, but honestly I never know what to believe. If it remains in the show then great because it was very funny and made a lovely close to the evening. If not, I don’t care because I have seen it and that’s what matters to me!
It is difficult to give a more detailed review without wildly giving away the content, so all I will say is that the show is absolutely fantastic and you should definitely go and see it if you get the opportunity.
Best Blogger Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment