Monday 30 May 2011

In a New Direction


From time to time, I find myself pulled off on what seems an imense tangeant but nevertheless I hop on the wave and ride it 'til it fizzles out. Yes, ok, I have been spending more time speaking with my sun-addled doods than my children but once you find yourself as woman in her mid-thirties dropping "lols" "whatevs" and the ultimate "blates" into general conversation, grownup company in whatever form becomes necessary! 
I spoke recently about how I wasted spent an entire day reading my old scrawlings; but from that I actually discovered something un-tapped. 
I grew up in a laughter-rich environment where my full exposure to radio, television and film was comedy-focussed. My parents firmly believed that laughter could get you through just about anything, a philosophy which has stuck with me to this very day.
That said, the stuff I was reading (mostly lain neglected for five years or more as I had been working at a real job!) was all trying so hard to be serious. Mostly it is derived from original scribblings as a suicidal teen desperate to hide from laughter and fun under a veil of black denim, leather and eyeshadow, so there is going to be no fun to be had there! What I have enjoyed doing, though (as much as a two-fingers at that morose creature as anything else) is re-writing it all but adding in the human element I tried so hard to bury before. In fact, I think a lot of it could simply be published as-is under the guise of comedy! Not that I will, of course, because I wouldn't give the person I was the satisfaction of publication in any form - but I could! 
So I am on a new journey now. The words flow far more easily now that I am no longer trying so hard to be serious about it all and life feels good - mostly because I am laughing! 
And if I laugh as I write, I can hope that at least one person will laugh as they read.

And if I make just one person laugh, then it's worth the effort.
Best Blogger Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment