Tuesday 27 September 2011

Newsjack

Thursdays at 10:30pm, BBC Radio 4 Extra

Justin Edwards Newsjack

Newsjack takes a light, satirical look at the week’s new events through a series of sketches and one-liners.

Just starting its fifth series, this programme shows no sign of pausing for breath: headed this time round by the brilliant Justin Edwards, it is every bit as fast-paced and entertaining as previous offerings.

It helps, of course, that the show does not have a formal writing team; this stops it from feeling tired as can so often happen. I love the magazine feel to the show, reminding me a little (if I can reference without glaringly giving away my age!) of watching KYTV in my youth, although to the “now” generation I guess it is more like a verbal version of Tumblr! I note that this show even holds the attention of my teens; no mean feet indeed, considering they (and most of their age) have horrendously short attention for anything without a visual. This can only serve to reinforce my point that the punchy delivery, quick-fire scripts and dynamic performances really do contribute to a fantastic piece of radio!

As always, you have probably missed the first episode by now but be sure to “tune in” (does anyone need to tune in nowadays?) for the next this week – or, yes you can search the I-player for it!
Best Blogger Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment