Wednesday 29 August 2012

Channel Four Love/Hate

I am very much having a love/hate relationship with Channel Four right now at the hands of their “Comedy Fortnight”. As a concept, it’s brilliant: wheeling out old comedies we have long forgotten; mixing the repeats with some new ideas; new shows from established comedy writers and actors. On paper, it sounds brilliant.

First issue, though, is the timing. Comedy starts at 9pm and goes on until sometime in the early morning. As an insomniac, I really don’t need this kind of excuse to not try to sleep; so I have missed some of the best stuff as I turn off the TV in an attempt to quiet my brain. Some of the things shown really haven’t even needed an after-nine slot to my mind, so why they have been dropped in at 2am is truly beyond me. Some might argue recordable TV and online viewing render scheduling irrelevant, but as a freesat viewer, I have no record capability and internet here is too slow to watch 4od (believe me, I once had to write about a half-hour show which I missed and subsequently took 7½hrs to watch on the 4od player!) But anyway, this is a minor quibble, as I do have the option to watch if I choose especially since I am invariably still wide awake.

Secondly, it was not even a true fortnight. More a “Comedy 10-Days With A Couple Off In The Middle” (pedantic, I know, but there you go!)

The programming itself, though…

One of the shows was a countdown of the best Channel4 comedies ever. I forget how many, but it seems logical to think it was 30; however many it was though there was only one show in the whole countdown which I didn’t like. The richness of the comedy output from Channel4 over the last thirty years has been truly outstanding and it was great to be reminded of some of them. But as it finishes we all weep in unison; a combination of grief over the loss of these greats and the lament of what the channel’s output has become. It seems that nowadays Channel Four is so utterly desperate for ‘something new’ they are forgetting about the audience completely. Okay there were a couple of new gems, namely the comedy drama “Toast of London”, which couldn’t ever be more than a one-off show, and from the Comedy Blaps series the brilliant “Rubberbandits”, but for the most part it seems new comedy is more about trying to push boundaries and break new ground than it is about the entertainment of the audience.

And here is where I really start to get onto my soapbox. Because in the midst of the advertising frenzy surrounding the channel4 comedy fortnight were trailers for the show “I’m Spazticus”. Now the title itself prickles at me for a start.

I am going to seem a little fumbling in my language here, I am sure, but it’s not through any sense of political correctness, more that there isn’t a term I genuinely feel comfortable using to describe what channel4 themselves call a ‘disabled cast’.

The reason the term grates at me so much is because I have been lucky enough to work with some truly inspiration people, both adults and children, who have what is termed a ‘disability’ but who show such dedication that their condition, whatever it may be, doesn’t render them unable to do anything. In fact, in the light of the upcoming Paralympic games, the one thing we should be learning from the outstanding athletes being hawked across our screens is that anyone can truly achieve anything.

Not only that, but when with ‘disabled’ friends or family members, there are words I can use which aren’t considered politically correct yet which feel far less derogatory than 'disabled'.

But as it seems the preferred term, I shall use the word disabled; although each time I do, I will cringe a little and the awkward shifting in my chair will cause some sort of break in my writing … but it is simpler that way I guess than back-tracking each time to find a word I am comfortable with.

But anyway, regardless of other terms I may use, in the title of this show is a word I truly despise. In fact, my reaction on hearing this word can be held alongside the responses of some towards the word c**t and it is certainly not a word I would ever like to see thrown around freely. It conjures up a horrifyingly belittling image of people who in some cases are not able to speak up for themselves … or maybe that’s just me.


I am side-tracking, I know, but for once I feel there is value in my waffling nonsense!

Anyway, I saw the trailers and didn’t pay too much attention, just thought how great it was that the upcoming Paralympics and all that comes with it had inspired C4 to commission a comedy showing the great talents of a group of ‘disabled’ people.

I have since learned this was originally part of the Comedy Labs series back in 2005. I have no idea if this outing was a repeat or a second effort, but regardless I cannot see the basis in it at all.

The thing which bothers me most is that there are a huge amount of performers with varying degrees of ‘disability’ in comedy. I shan’t get into listing them, because I would rather single them out for their comedy than their physical condition but I am sure Google will point you to them should you ask. Much as [my regular readers will know] I despise the ‘offended on behalf of others’ culture, this show itself is a huge insult to them and their efforts to break down barriers.

At a time when the world is suddenly focussed on positive images of people with disabilities doing the most amazing things, Channel Four had a great opportunity to provide a show which empowered performers who struggle to find an outlet. I spoke with someone a while ago about a brilliant CP act I had seen (the CP being wholly irrelevant to the act itself, I simply made a passing mention of the condition) to which the response was “Why would you go see that? How could you sit and laugh at a poor disabled person?” Um… kind of the point of comedy, no? But this is the issue such performers have to fight against and this is what the timeslot should have been used for. Instead was a programme which in my mind was downright insulting to all, including the acts themselves.


I’ll explain a little, because I am aware some of you may have missed it…

This is a prank show (okay, I already had low expectations, you know how I love to hate the format!) the premise being: disabled person stuck with some sort of problem, approaches member of the public for help, member of the public is mocked… for being a good citizen and trying to help. The people who passed by ignoring pleas for assistance are not subjected to any of the ridicule; no that is reserved for the decent human beings.
And that is the thing that pissed me off least about this offering …

Alright, I can kind of see the point; I get what they were trying to achieve – but maybe this could have been better done by actual sketches. This show just came across as a bitter group being given the chance to take the piss out of some people who were different to them; there is nothing funny or clever in that, unless it is at the expense of someone who is being a complete dick – and the subjects here certainly weren’t dicks!


The show also did nothing to promote a positive image of people with disabilities. In fact, it was quite the opposite. For example:

A blind man walks into different situations carrying a dildo with ‘hilarious’ consequences … because of course being unable to see renders a person too stupid to know not to brandish a sextoy in the face of a delivery man knocking at the door, or to carry it in a bag if returning it to a shop. How is this funny?

People are stopped in the street and asked to take part in a police line-up, but are encouraged to act like the rest of the line-up. One being asked to kneel on his shoes to look like a dwarf… um… is this okay? Or funny? No on both accounts if you ask me.


I could go on but I am aware this is already a far longer rant than I intended.

Just think again, please, Channel Four. There is a wealth of talent amongst the ‘disabled community’ for want of a better phrase. Look for them, make a night of their acts, give them the audience they deserve… but no more of this derogatory drime.

Fly on Yellow FlowerAnd yes, I am going to continue to use the word drime in spite of my software's claims it doesn't exist because even if it isn't a real word, it bloody well should be!
Best Blogger Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment