Saturday 21 January 2012

House of Rooms



I tried to come into watching this void of any preconceptions… something thankfully made far easier by its being so completely different than could possibly be expected that the moment it started I forgot all about Milton’s fantastic stand-up and was whisked away into his little world.

Being a surrealist at heart, I loved the bizarreness of the whole affair as we see the down-beaten Milton struggle to cope with the popularity of new tenant Paul, especially from his love interest, Alice, and has a brilliantly thought-out sub-plot I shan’t detail for fear of ruining it for you!

I will be honest, there were parts of it which put me in mind of ‘Flight of the Conchordes’… not for the content but for the general ambience of the show, with subtle sound effects and the occasional musical backing track. Not that I consider that a bad thing, by a long stretch… Conchordes is fabulous! Suffice it to say that if you liked one, you would most likely feel the same way about the other!

To my mind, Jones proved brilliantly that his one-liner style can fit perfectly into a sitcom with script which is absolutely hilarious in the most understated way.

As a pilot offering, I really hope this becomes a full series at some point… I for one will be very much looking forward to it!


Click the image to view the show on 4oD


Best Blogger Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment