Thursday 20 December 2012

More on Awards...


I had intended to post a lengthy report on the British Comedy Awards - in fact, it is written ... and I spent ages working up some graphics too... but I decided I didn't want to post it after all. Instead, I want to address some points which have arisen from conversations since.

Firstly is the idea of judging comedy at all.
Whether we laugh at a particular joke or not comes of our own circumstance, our beliefs and opinions; there is not a single joke which everyone in the world finds funny. This is why I so enjoy hearing from you all about what you find funny: people who send me links to things they feel I should watch or hear; those who post in the comments area here or on facebook telling me why they agree or disagree with my opinions; people who invite me along to events; anyone who has ever said or written the phrase "You'll love this!" You all offer up your own perspective which is no less or more valid than my own. Likewise the opinion of a panel making the choices for an award ceremony. Who is to say that what that small group of people decide is 'the best' truly represents the views of the greater public? Especially when we do not know their true motivation.

There is always a smack of politics about any award ceremony and this one is no different. Does it not invalidate the entire process that the nominees are selected from a pre-approved list? Should someone really be overlooked simply off the back of the fact they would probably not attend the ceremony to collect in person? I was always taught you do not give to receive. This is the same, surely?


Any regular readers will be aware I will never answer a "What is your favourite _?" question, because such things always depend on mood. And there is the issue: ask me now what is the best sitcom at the moment ... go one, ask! Today I will say 'Him and Her' - mostly because that was the last I watched, partly because I am in the frame of mind right now suited to the show. Ask me again later, it will be different... you won't know that until you ask but I guarantee it will change. Does this make me a fickle person? In spite of previous accusations, no. I won't think it is any less funny than I did before, just that my mood will be different or there will be something else at the forefront of my mind which eludes me right now.

So that is the problem.

I recently found myself in conversation with a very dear Cymrutalian friend Gino, which you can see in the comments here: BCA 2012 Blog Post about having some sort of "awards"-type setup here. Part of me thinks that would be fun and something I definitely want to do. But there is also a part of me that just knows there would be a huge bias towards my own favourites... and you all know what those would be.


So here is what I will do.

If the consensus is that you all care enough send ideas.

What/who would you recognise in the "No Fucking Prize it's Just a Bit of a Laugh" awards of 2013?

Categories, nominees, ideas for a better name... anything at all. You can easily find my opinion just by reading more of this blog, so if there is not enough feedback from people who aren't me I will not bother at all... such is the manner of true democracy!

Contact Via Facebook
Contact Via Twitter
Email Us Best Blogger Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment