Thursday 25 August 2011

Judgement Day: GCSE Results

WARNING: THIS POST CONTAINS LITTLE BEYOND THE MUNDANITY OF FAMILY LIFE SUCH AS IT IS SO PLEASE GRAB A HOLD OF YOUR EXPECTATIONS AND LOWER THEM SOMEWHAT - OR AWAIT THE NEXT POST - EITHER WAY AT THE VERY LEAST CHECK OUT MY BABY'S DRAWING AT THE END OF THE POST!

I often think I am more nervous for my children than they are themselves! Results day is certainly one such occasion! Last week I attended college with my oldest for her AS Level results; today, the two GCSE’s Miss Middle has taken this year. I don’t like to harp on about the “old days” too much as it serves as a grim reminder of just how horrendously old I am, but in my day they mailed you the result. This whole pomp and performance of trekking across town for an A4 sheet of paper with a couple of letters on is ridiculous!

She didn’t do brilliantly as it happens, but to be honest given that her attendance for the last year barely made 60% we were not too surprised. In fact, for someone who has missed so much teaching she did remarkably well, but she is not in a position to see that right now.

Regardless, I am proud of what she has achieved this year. All my children cope remarkably well given the struggles we have in this household. There is little about our lives which could be construed as ‘normal’ and they just take all that is thrown at them fully in their strides. Her results may not have been great, but she attended all the exams and worked mighty hard to achieve what she has; and whilst one result stands, the other is subject to the results of further GCSE’s next year so it is possible to crank that one up a couple of grades with the support of all around her!

I am fully aware how menial, mundane, dire etc this news is but I hope to follow with something more interesting/relevant.

In the meantime, because I am super-proud of her, here is a pic drawn by my Miss Middle... remember she’s only 15; when her style matures she is gonna be a fabulous artist, but for now busies herself drawing the rich and famous (and her not-so-rich-or-famous friends and family!)


The fabulous Mark Watson -- Have you still not read his blog? Really, he should give me props for plugging it so often! -- as drawn by my biggest little girl (or littlest big girl; it's all about perspective!)
Best Blogger Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment