Friday 11 May 2012

Alex Horne: Seven Years in the Bathroom

I know, I promised I’d be more timely with these – but in reality, it's just a week since I watched the show… and here’s the other thing: I don’t know if it’s just me, but there is a certain euphoria in watching a live performance which does generally leave one laughing at absolutely anything (believe me, in addition to uncomedian Jethro, the hub-creature loves Joe Pasquale thus we have seen him live maybe 4 times- I always found myself laughing at the time, then on seeing the same material on the TV questioned what made it funny!!)

Digressing as per usual but hey, at least you know this is not computer-generated randomised review… shit like this has to flow from a real, slightly malfunctioning brain, right?


I was due to have visited the Mach festival (more on that in another post!) but because of uncertainties over the impending operation and other crap related to the fact my life is not my own had to cancel everything (and incidentally, if any of my readership happens to be in the holiday accommodation business… I appreciate the need to hold deposits when it’s quiet, I really do- but if you RESELL my booking, surely it is not too much to expect a full refund, is it?)

So anyway, knowing that the brilliant Alex Horne was in the next town, I thought “What the heck!” And went along to drown my comedy sorrows.

And I’m bloody glad I did!

Obviously I was familiar with Alex’ radio work but I really had no idea what to expect from him ‘in the flesh’ (and as it happens, that is more than a glib, clichéd phrase… we actually did get to see more of him than we all expected to!)

This show is very difficult to review without giving anything away; especially given that I think a huge part of the joy of an event such as this is in the unknown.

It was more theatre than ‘just another’ comedy show with a huge reliance on perfect timing and the performance itself; and I realise that might sound as though I am suggesting it was not funny… but it was – very much so.

There was a huge element of audience participation (a word of warning, if this makes you uncomfortable be sure to not be seated at the front) but it was not the cringey kind of involvement that leaves a person feeling they have to try to be as funny as the comedian as often happens much to the point that I think even had I been one of those selected I would have not had my usual reservations about taking part (and for the record, I am not a person to make a prat of herself in front of an audience!) It was unfortunate that a large element of the show relied on internet and phone access, neither of which are available in the town- although we did seem to strike lucky in that a passing wave of network hit someone’s phone just as we needed it!

It really is difficult to review this with any more depth for fear of giving away something, so I will simply tell you (as usual!) to go see Alex Horne whenever/wherever you get the opportunity! And if you are reading this and wondering who he is: firstly shame on you; secondly, check out this episode of The Matt Lucas Awards

And watch this: very funny!

Best Blogger Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment